Modality Systems Network Readiness Assessment for Microsoft Teams
Modality Systems Network Readiness Assessment for Microsoft Teams combines network test nodes and expert consulting to give an accurate understanding of your network readiness for Microsoft Teams and specific recommendations for any risks or remediation required.
Modality Systems Network Readiness Assessment for Microsoft Teams is a combination of remote consulting exercises, node network tests and output documents.
Microsoft Teams and Network Performance
Optimal and consistent Microsoft Teams audio, video and sharing performance depends on the network. Microsoft Teams is a cloud service with specific network requirements.
Common issues include:
- Firewall and proxies blocking traffic or adding a performance overhead
- Insufficient bandwidth
- Network impairments such as jitter and packet loss
- VPN usage and performance
- Wi-Fi performance
Failing to assess and prepare your network will likely lead to performance issues and impacted user experience. By preparing your network for Microsoft Teams, you can dramatically increase your chance of success.
Access to software and remote deployment assistance to setup an agreed combination of the following network tests:
- Test Node to Azure Edge Tests – wired and Wi-Fi – single audio stream
- Node to Node Peer to Peer/site to site tests – multiple audio streams
- Nodes can be placed
- In organisation offices/sites
- Customer Data Centres
- Azure (see specific port requirements)
- Notes can be connected to either the wired or wireless network
Note, nodes perform audio tests only and provide an indication of network performance and network issues but are not a raw bandwidth test or video or desktop sharing test. They should be used alongside the paper-based network assessment to give a complete picture of anticipated network performance.
- Complete Microsoft Teams Network Planner
- Populate Call Quality Diagnostics with Network Information
- Call Quality Diagnostics Training session
- Complete Microsoft Teams Network Planner Report – (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/network-planner)
- Modality Test Node Performance Report
- Overall Network Readiness Report and Recommendations *Reports completed to the extent to which customer provides data.
About Modality Systems Network Test Nodes
Modality Systems in house development team has developed network test nodes that are built on the Skype for Business development framework.
They are designed to perform the following tests:
Teams Network Assessment Tests
- Test the connection from the node to the Microsoft Network Edge by streaming audio packets to the nearest edge site and back
- Test connectivity between the node and relevant FQDN’s, IP Addresses and Ports for Microsoft Teams
- Node to Node Test Audio Calls
- Using Skype for Business RTAudio Codec
- Up to 25 concurrent streams to/from any node (i5, 8GB RAM)
- Nodes can provide insight into site to site, site to data centre (for direct routing) and site to Azure traffic performance
We use Skype for Business Test Calls for Audio tests as, at this time, Microsoft Teams cannot be automated to perform the same tests. The tests use RTAudio which is a less performant codec than Microsoft Teams, but provides the same statistics in terms of packet loss, round trip time and jitter.
They can be placed on internal sites, DC’s or in Microsoft Azure to test different combinations of routes.
- Node P2P calls are controlled by a Modality Azure Management Server
- Customer provides appropriate Windows PCs to install nodes on
- Nodes test Audio but not video or desktop sharing.
- Customer provides windows PC per node.
- Nodes can perform P2P Tests provided they can directly route to each other on the XXX port range